Deputy Chairman Harris Aiming For Bramley-Moore Fortress

Everton Deputy Chairman Keith Harris says the Club’s proposed Bramley-Moore Dock stadium can be a “fortress other clubs will shudder to visit”.

A “hugely successful” 19-day first-stage public consultation was completed last month and Harris said the Club “listened to what the fans had to say”.

He cited a number of firsts achieved by Everton in its rich 141-year history and promised the Club’s heritage would be reflected in their pioneering new home.

Addressing shareholders at Everton’s General Meeting on Tuesday, Harris said: “I can promise state of the art, tomorrow’s technology, today’s passion and yesterday’s history will be melded into this stadium and it will be a fortress other clubs will shudder to visit.

“With your support we can deliver that.

“It is a superb site, absolutely outstanding. I have been involved in building and financing a number of stadia and nothing comes close to this site.

“It will be a stadium which reflects the atmosphere and passion we have [at Goodison Park] but includes the benefit of what we have today.

“We will build a modern-day experience which is enjoyable for the home fans and formidable for those who are visiting.”

Harris has worked on a breadth of stadium projects and had responsibility for generating finance for the rebuilt Wembley in the mid-2000s.

He was appointed to Everton’s Board in October 2016 and has immersed himself in the Club.

Now, working with a team dedicated to the delivery of a home fit to replace Goodison, Harris is promising all challenges encountered during the project will be “met and beaten”.

He also revealed there is “flexibility” regarding the proposed 52,000 capacity announced in December and consultations with Liverpool City Council have been “encouraging”.

“We want a stadium to be proud of and our [design] team will aim to recreate as much history as possible,” added Harris.

“When I read about the history of Everton, it is about innovation, foresight and delivery.

“The number of firsts achieved by our forefathers is quite extraordinary.

“The 19-day consultation required huge planning and was beautifully executed and hugely successful.

“We listened to what the fans had to day and have had very encouraging consultations with the council.

“We have a wonderful structure on the site which has to be handled with care.

"But all the challenges will be met and beaten.

“The optimism has to be high. Marco Silva and Marcel Brands are being consulted as we finalise the design.

“We expect the introduction of safe standing during the period the stadium is being built, so original capacity has flexibility to increase by 10,000, depending on government legislation.

"We will announce another consultation exercise revealing designs in next few months.”

Chief Finance and Commercial Officer Sasha Ryazantsev added: “No stadium can be built without funding, that’s been our key focus for the past six months. 

“Ultimately this is a major infrastructure process in the north west. We are in a good place with funding. Things are looking up on this project. A lot of work has been done but there is a lot of work still to do.”

Related Tags

Season Ticket, Lounge or We Are Everton Member?

Login then click HERE to check out the latest exclusive content, including player features, classic highlights, interviews and more.

evertontv

View More
  • EVERTON DUO'S INSPIRATIONAL MEETING WITH DOWN SYNDROME TEAM
    471
  • WATCH: EVERTON UNDER-18S TOPPLE BAGGIES
  • EVERTON BOSS SILVA HAILS 'IMPORTANT STEP'
    141
  • SILVA ON CHELSEA WIN AND WHAT HE SAID AT HALF-TIME
  • SIGURDSSON AND COLEMAN REACT TO 'BIG' CHELSEA WIN
  • EVERTON 2-0 CHELSEA - EXTENDED HIGHLIGHTS